evian is committed to become a 100% circular brand by 2025 through pioneering partnerships to redesign its packaging, accelerate recycling initiatives, drive sustainable innovations and recover plastic waste from nature. Through a ‘circular approach’, plastic is kept within the economy and out of nature. evian will move from a linear model to a circular one, where all bottles will be made from recycled plastic without the need for any virgin plastic. This will enable plastic to evolve from potential waste to become a valuable resource. Today, all evian bottles are already designed for circularity, meaning they are 100% recyclable and contain on average across the range 30% recycled PET (recycled Polyethylene terephthalate, rPET).
Why does it matter ?
There is a fundamental re-think required of the plastics system and brands need to take a leadership role in changing the reality of plastic. So, as a leading global brand, evian has an active role to play.
As part of the evian commitment to become a circular brand by 2025, evian, knowing that it cannot work alone, has called for collaboration across industries and beyond to achieve a sustainable, large-scale change in plastic usage and waste management.
How does it work ?
To achieve its 2025 ambition and to boost the required change in all industries, evian has taken action:
- Today, all evian bottles are designed for circularity, meaning they are 100% recyclable and contain on average 30% rPET across the range. In November 2018, evian launched a 1.5L 50% rPET bottle. evian is partnering with Loop Industries, which has developed a technology that enables a continuous loop for large scale recycling, transforming all types of PET plastic waste into the high-quality plastic required by evian.
- In December 2018, evian appointed Virgil Abloh as ‘Creative Advisor for Sustainable Innovation Design’. He will play a central role in the design of future evian products and use his wide scale platform to raise awareness around the importance of innovation in design and sustainability.
- For more than 10 years, evian has been offering returnable glass bottles to restaurants in France. Through Loop by Terracycle, consumers in Paris will be able to enjoy evian natural mineral water in the 1 liter returnable glass bottle at home too.
- evian is collaborating both globally and locally with governments, recycling industry partners, such as Veolia, and consumers in the markets where it operates to increase collection and recycling rates of waste plastic bottles. In 2018, evian created educational documentaries with VICE Impact to raise consumer knowledge about circularity as a way to change the way we think about plastic usage and waste. In addition, evian partnered with National Geographic to create several content pieces to change consumer perceptions towards plastic as a resource.
- Since 2009, through the Danone Ecosystem Fund, Danone supports long term locally-led collection initiatives with positive social, environmental and business impacts, from reverse vending machines to inclusive recycling programs.
- evian seeks to further help reduce the amount of plastic waste in the environment. To do that, evian, through its parent company Danone, is taking part in a research mission with The Ocean Cleanup, a Dutch non-profit start up that has developed scalable advanced technologies to help rid the oceans of plastic.
How does it create value ?
evian’s commitment to become a 100% circular brand by 2025 creates value since it aims at redesigning its packaging process, accelerating recycling initiatives, raising consumer awareness and having all stakeholders join together to join the circular movement.
Photo credit: © SAEME-HS (Herve Schmelzle)