As Danone’s mission is to “Bring Health Through Food to as Many People as Possible”, we logically focus our efforts on the SDGs on which Danone's activities have a direct impact:
- SDG 2 “Zero Hunger” through ensuring access to safe and nutritious food, and ensuring a sustainable food production system;
- SDG 3 “Good Health and Well-Being” through ensuring the best nutrition for infants, young children and mothers, as well as through the overall range of our product categories over the lifespan;
- SDG 6 “Clean Water and Sanitation” through participating in access to drinking water for as many as possible, improving water quality and efficiency as well as protecting water-related ecosystems.
These SDGs relate to the products sold under our three business divisions: Essential Dairy and Plant Based, Waters and Specialized Nutrition (Early Life Nutrition and Advanced Medical Nutrition).
Secondly, we also want to contribute to the SDGs that are material to our industry and the way we source, produce, operate and sale our food and beverages:
- SDG 12 “Responsible Consumption and Production”, stood out, as it focuses on better management of waste and natural resources (SDG 12) and is in line with our commitments towards the development of a circular economy;
- SDG 8 “Decent Work and Economic Growth”, promotes inclusive growth as well as a safe and secure work environment, for all, which fits with our ambition to foster an inclusive growth;
- SDG 13 “Climate Action”, since agriculture is responsible for about 31% of global greenhouse gas emissions. Danone has committed to contribute to the fight against climate change by becoming carbon neutral by 2050.
Finally, contributing to the SDGs requires strong collaboration between industries and beyond, therefore Danone commits to engage in global partnerships to contribute to the SDG 17 “Partnerships for the Goals”.
Thus, the seven major focuses (SDGs 2, 3, 6, 8, 12, 13 and 17) embody the strategic mission of Danone. Nevertheless, Danone also makes significant contributions to the other SDGs, as explained below.